Starting yesterday, Monday, September 29, I decided to try a little experiment on myself! On a daily basis I consume anywhere from 10 – 12 hours of Technology News and Technology related Podcasts, directly fed into my ear via iPhone as I walk 8 – 10 miles during my daily route as a US Postal Carrier. My little experiment is meant as a reality check for myself, to focus on the true things that are important! A self-realization in Tech News Deprivation!
I consider myself a junkie when it comes to tech news, and have realized that I seem to have a phobia of some sort that rears its head if I miss a day of tech news podcasts. I have actually arrived late to work because I had to get the latest podcasts loaded to my phone before heading off to work for the day! Yeah! It’s bad!
I plan to deter my obsessions of tech news dependency with a daily dose of comedy and non-tech related podcasts. This also means I cannot refer to my Twitter friends (but I will POST!), or check my “public” email which receives all the current information and blog feeds. This also means I have to avoid reading my magazines, news papers, and various publications that feed me with daily tech news! I can’t even check my stock portfolio, although I will allow myself to observe market trends and DOW performance which is not necessarily tech.
Over the next couple of days I plan on emailing each and every one of the podcasts that I am depriving myself of, to let them know of my experiment. If they were to speak of me, I would never hear it! (Unless it is AFTER the experiment completion!)
To give you an idea of my daily dose of tech news, I subscribe to, and enjoy the following podcasts:
The TWiT Feeds (Leo Laporte & Friends)(Radio Leo) (Link)
- This WEEK in TECH
- The Tech Guy
- MacBreak Weekly
- Windows Weekly
- Security Now
- Jumping Monkeys
- Daily Giz Wiz
- Buzz Out Loud
- The 404
- The Buzz Report
- Car Tech
- Dialed In
- The Digital Home
- Indecent Exposure
- Inside CNet Labs
- The Real Deal
- Security Bytes
It seems like a lot of podcasts, but somehow I tend to keep up on all of these shows along with several others that are not Tech related. These non-tech podcasts will be my audible entertainment over the next couple of weeks!
Some shows I WILL be listening to include:
- You Look Nice Today (Link)
- Uhh Yeah Dude (Catch up on old episodes!) (Link)
- NPR – Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me! (Link)
- Comedy And Everything Else (Link)
- Never Not Funny (Link)
Please join me on my experiment as I keep you up to date on my Tech News Deprivation! More to come…
- Making Good Use of the iPhone’s Custom Greeting Feature Due to my 2 Week Challenge, today I was playing...
- MonoPrice.com – Tech Accessories Website with GREAT prices! If you are ever in search of basic computer...
- TheBusyBrain Blog Experiment… Monetize by Changing Nothing! I started this blog as a personal “Preservation Bank” of...
- To the Twitter Community – My Tit-Tat-Tweet Apology As you may very well know, I decided to engage...
- Signs of a Web 2.0 Geek You Might Be a Web 2.0 Geek if… You find...